- As I posted yesterday, our very own Nathan MacKinnon was drafted 1st overall by the Colorado Avalanche. This was really no surprise as the Avs had said last week that they would be picking Nate.
- MacKinnon’s linemate with the Halifax Mooseheads, Jonathan Drouin got picked 3rd overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- In a turn of events, Seth Jones of the Portland Winterhawks did not get picked in the top 3 as Florida decided to pick Euro player Aleksander Barkov with their choice. Jones was picked 4th overall by the Nashville Predators.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs picked two QMJHL players, a record for the team apparently; Frederik Gauthier of the Rimouski Oceanic was picked 21st overall and Antoine Bibeau of the PEI Rocket was chosen 172nd overall.
- There was 31 QMJHL players drafted this year.
- Four Mooseheads players were picked in total. Zach Fucale had to wait a little longer than people were expecting him to but he did get picked by his favourite team, the Montreal Canadiens who drafted him in the second round 36th overall. MacKenzie Weegar was selected by the Florida Panthers 206th overall.
- Goaltender Anthony Brodeur was drafted by his father, Martin, 208th overall. Both Brodeur’s are now a member of the New Jersey Devils program, the home faithfuls must’ve been going nuts over this pick.
- The 2014 NHL Draft will be hosted by the Philadelphia Flyers.
My predictions that I made last week were wrong. I predicted that Drouin would be first with Nate (2nd), Jones (3rd) following behind him and Nurse, Barkov and Fucale drafted at 5th, 7th and 14th overall respectively.