The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League announced the 2016-17 regular season schedule today.
Your Halifax Mooseheads will begin the season on the road yet again, travelling to Moncton to take on the Wildcats on September 23 at 7pm. Luckily we won’t have to wait until October to see hockey at the Scotiabank Centre as the home opener for the Herd is the next night with a matchup versus the Saint John Sea Dogs.
Some highlights from the schedule:
- In an interesting scheduling quirk, the Moose are set to welcome the Gatineau Olympiques on Thanksgiving Day (3pm) and host the Sherbrooke Phoenix on Remembrance Day (7pm). We may see special DND-themed jerseys during the game on November 11.
- Halifax will have it’s first 3 games in 3 nights trip between October 14 and October 16. This also happens to be the first Quebec trip of the season too and the team will visit Shawinigan, Blainville and Victoriaville during the weekend.
- For a third straight year, your Herd will host a game on New Year’s Eve. This year it will be apart of the Battle of Nova Scotia event when Cape Breton visits Moose Country for a game currently scheduled at 2pm. The two teams will play in Sydney on December 30 at the normal 7pm.
- The Mooseheads will have it’s longest road trip February 26-March 11 when they play 5 games away while the longest home stand is 3 games which happens 4 times.
- Halifax will finish the season on home ice, hosting 3 games to end the year. The fan appreciation game will be March 18 at 4pm. A full slate of 9 games will be played on this date.
Halifax have yet to announce their pre-season schedule or the dates of the annual events. The Moose said that they would announce the specialty games around the same time as the regular season schedule announcement so expect by the end of the week to get that info.
featured image: theqmjhl.ca