- Once again, for the first two picks of the draft it went the way everyone was expecting it to with the Toronto Maple Leafs selecting American Auston Matthews number one and Patrik Laine of Finland going to the Winnipeg Jets second overall.
- The 1st surprise of Friday night was when the Columbus Blue Jackets selected Pierre-Luc Dubois of the QMJHL’s Cape Breton Screaming Eagles with the 3rd overall selection. Many thought that the QMJHL player would be drafted somewhere between 5 and 10. Only 14 Q players were selected in this year’s draft, the lowest number in years.
- Halifax Mooseheads forward Otto Somppi was drafted in the 7th round 206th overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday, dropping below where many predicted him to go.
- 18 year old Maxime Fortier did not get drafted on the weekend while Herd prospect Joachim Blichfeld was selected 210th overall by San Jose.
- The 2017 NHL draft will be hosted by the Chicago Blackhawks in Chicago, IL.